The Modern Language Association (MLA) does not require you to create a cover page when you complete your research paper, but some instructors may require you to have it. A paper with a cover page also looks more professional.
If your instructor requires your paper to have a cover page, he/she usually provides specific instructions on what you should put on the cover page. Here is the general MLA Format cover page: this page should include your university name, your research paper title, your name, your class, your professor name and your paper’s due date.
Here is how to format your MLA cover page:
- This page is double spaced and the letters are centered.
- Type the name of your university or college.
- Skip to about one-third of the page and type your research paper title, include a subtitle if you have.
- Skip several lines down and type your name, your course name and number, your instructor name and your paper’s due date.
Sample MLA Format Cover Page:
Sample MLA Format Cover Page
Alternate First Page:
If your instructor requires a cover page, you may omit the main heading on your first page. Here is an example of the first page if a cover page is used. You still need your last name and page number on the first page and every other page.
Sample MLA Format First Page with Cover Page
Visit here for a real sample paper with the cover page. This paper also has the outline page for your sample.
MLA Format Guidelines:
APA Format Guidelines:
APA Title Page Templates
Instant download, professional APA format samplesWhen you are writing a paper in the American Psychological Association (APA) style, you should be following some general instructions for the formatting. For reference on the proper structure, the full guidelines are in the APA Publication Manual of the American Psychological Association.The APA title page can be created with the free title page templates offered here, and with the recommendations below.
APA Cover Page Format
- Line spacing– Double Spaced
- Font– This should be an easy-to-read serif font for your text. APA recommendation is Times New Roman if your institution doesn’t specify a different font.
- Font Size– 12 point
- Margins– One-inch all around
Running HeadThink of this as your abbreviated title. According to the American Psychological Association blog, this is a short title that should be at the top of every page. This page header’s purpose is twofold:
- Identification– identifying the page for the reader in case of page separation
- Anonymity– keeping the author nameless during the review process if submitting the paper for publication
- Typed in all capital letters
- Placed in the header, flush left
- Prefix it with the words “Running head:” (remember the colon) on the cover page only
- No more than 50 characters long, including spaces
Page NumberEach of the pages of your APA style paper will have a page number following the below rules
- Placement: top right corner in header of the page with the running head
- Numbering: begin with 1 on the title page
- Justification: right justified
APA Cover Page SectionsAccording to the Purdue Online Writing Lab, your APA essay title page should contain three major sections. All information in these lines should be:
- Double spaced
- Use both upper and lower case text
- Use the same easy-to-read serif font either specified by the institution or the APA recommended Times New Roman in 12 point.
APA Paper TitleThe title should follow the below instructions:
- Not be more than 12 words long
- May take up to two lines on your paper if need be.
- Avoid the use of abbreviations
- Unlike references and titles of work you are citing within the body of your essay, the title of your paper must not be boldface or in italics.
Name of the AuthorThis will be the only place that you put your name so your paper can be anonymous when submitting it for review for publication without the title page. There is no need to put anything other than your name on this line, and it should be as follows:
- The author’s full name, including their middle initial
- Placed under the title
- Do not to include titles or degrees after the name
Institutional AffiliationUnder the author byline should be the institutional affiliation where the author conducted the research for the APA style paper. Again, just the name of the institution is required, without any descriptive text preceding it.
Free APA Title Page ExamplesSee below to download the template, and start putting together your essay in the correct APA Paper Format. This portion of your work should be fairly simple to put together, once you have read through these guides and are using one of the title page templates.At apastyle.org, you can get more instructions on writing the title page, as well as how to put together your reference list and other parts of the essay.
Typical APA Style Term Paper
This is free sample of a Typical APA Style Term Paper.
Typical APA Style Term Paper where title appears in the middle of the page.
Two Authors, Same Affiliations
APA Style Term Paper with Two Authors and the same Affiliation.
Two Authors, Two Affiliations
APA Style Term Paper with Two Authors and Two Affiliations.
Three Authors, Two Affiliations
APA Style Term Paper with Three Authors and Two Affiliations.
Three Authors, Three Affiliations
APA Style Term Paper with Three Authors and Three Affiliations.
Three Authors, Same Affiliations for the first and third authors
APA Style Term Paper with Three Authors and Same Affiliation for the first and third authors.
One Author, One Affiliation
APA Style Term Paper with One Author and One Affiliation.